Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Latchkey Studios

Hi everyone-

I wanted to let you all know about my latest venture: I'm now part of Latchkey Studios (latchkeystudios.blogspot.com)! We are "a group of working artists [which now includes at least one writer!] that have come together to help tackle 'The Industry'. We travel, critique, eat, drink and sell sell sell together." So, who knows, I might even get paid at some point!

For those of you new to me and this blog (coming from the Latchkey blogsite), I’m Steve MacDonald, the newest (for now) Latchkey kid…although calling me a kid is kinda stretching the definition to the breaking point! Unlike most of the others here, I’m primarily a writer (and editor, and story consultant, and collaborator, etc.), but hopefully that won’t get me kicked out of the sandbox. I have a lot of stories for you all, and I’ll get someone to draw them for me soon!

When it comes to story-telling, I like classic literature as well as comic books and strips, movies and even story-songs, as long as they are well-told and seem to have a purpose for having been told. Stories that have a strong underlying theme and accomplishable character goals capture my attention (depending on the goals and themes, of course), and I tend to prefer fantasy stories (including science fiction, fairy tales and superhero stories) for their applications of metaphors and allegories.

Fiction authors who have inspired me include (alphabetically) John Bunyan, Lewis Carroll, Chris Claremont, Charles Dickens, the Brothers Grimm, Norton Juster, Jim Krueger, CS Lewis, Edgar Allan Poe, JRR Tolkien, and Charles Williams. Finding where stories impact culture and faith is a large part of the thrill I get from them. Representing them visually so others can see through my eyes is a challenge, especially when another person is doing the actual art, but it is a challenge that I find worth the effort, and I hope you will too!

I have a new story in the works right now, and more details about it and the universe it inhabits will be coming soon.

No comments: